Just Me!

Just Me!

Monday 3 January 2011

Day 3 - Theme 142 - Heavy

I live minutes from the local docks, and just around the corner from my home, there is a house with an unusual garden ornament. In the middle of an ordinary street, with nothing more exotic than a hanging basket or two for decoration, is a ships anchor, complete, and sunk slightly into the ground.
Paul and I often walk past, and every time we muse on how it ended up here. How do you buy a ships anchor...and how on earth do you get it home?!
It has been there for years, I dont think even the current owners of the house know anything of its history!



10 comments:

  1. I think when they sell the house it will stay with the house lol How unusual!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote the King in "The King and I", "It...is...puzzlement".

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much does that Anchors Aweigh.

    No Open ID? My site Addr, is:
    http://danudin2011.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is one heavy lawn decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet it weighs a ton, great angles all the way around. My kids say I take pictures from all 4 sides of everything. You caught all the texture and details well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to wonder what waters that anchor set down in. The North Sea? The tropics? Perhaps it was off of Dracula's ship, The Demeter? That landed in Whitby, not too far down the coast from you. Yep, I'll bet it is Dracula's anchor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wonder now after Steven just what waters the anchor saw. I wonder too how many people have tripped over it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe when the wind blows hard, the owners anchor their home to it to keep it from blowing away! I wonder how old it is and like the rest of you, where it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    That's an unusual garden ornament. But I like it. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    http://sherrie-myphotosgoodorbad.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweet.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Steven...you really have me thinking now! I love anything Vampire related, and I adore the idea it could have been from Draculas ship!

    ReplyDelete