Just Me!

Just Me!

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Oil Rigs - Day 18 - Theme 88 - Every Day Sights

Paul and I often walk by the docks on the way to town, and on the way back home we saw this oil rig was in for repair at one of the local ship yards. This is such an everyday sight, I have never thought to photograph them before. They are so huge, and quite majestic to look at especially when they are lit up at night. I turned the photo sepia, as I love to imagine the docks as they were 100 years ago. It is rather sad, as so many of the shipyards closed under Thatchers government in the 70's/80's...what once a bustling line of dockyards is now very quiet.

11 comments:

  1. The sepia toning gives the feel of times past to this rig. Very nice capture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great catch and equally great edit. Makes the photo almost look as thou it could be the 40's or 50s. I too am saddened over the closing of so many ports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, I gust got my first look at your wonderful blog. i enjoyed all of your talented scrapbooking. Your 6-pack are adorable and quite funny. We had cats for many years and one of them had to be wherever I was and was known for napping on my keyboard while I was working!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did to age this image...it takes us back to a time when this was a hustling bustling business!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great old time feel to this, well shot and processed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those do look massive. Funny what we all take for granted until we see them through the camera. I too like your processing on this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sepia and the vignette were brillinat choices. It looks like a phot from one of the early editions of National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with the sepia tones being so right for this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your filter/effect gave a very industrial look to a dying industry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the sepia tones. Nice processing choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like it could be straight out of the history books. Processing is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete